Walk To Leitir Fura

Yesterday promised some good weather so we prepared a picnic lunch and drove to the Forestry Commission car park near Kinloch Lodge. The 7km walk’s goal was Leitir Fura and abandoned village in Kinloch Forest with a beautiful view towards the entrance to Loch Hourn. The name translates from Gaelic as ‘oak on a slope’ and refers to two specific oak trees that grew in the village: Fura Mhòr (Great Oak) and Fura Bheag (Little Oak). According to legend Fura Mhòr, which was so big that 50 people could sit in its shade, was accidentally set alight by some children of the village and as a punishment the whole village was evicted. What is certain is that by 1800 the village was deserted and many of the inhabitants had emigrated to Nova Scotia.

Leitir Fura

Leitir Fura

There were many beautiful views and little waterfalls along the walk.

Little Waterfall

Little Waterfall

 

Trees Along Loch Na Dal

Trees Along Loch Na Dal

 

Entrance To Loch Hourn

Entrance To Loch Hourn

 

We also had a good view of Ornsay, its lighthouse and Knoydart in the background. The light was built in 1857 and was automated in 1962. In 1966 Gavin Maxwell bought the adjoining cottage.

Ornsay Lighthouse

Ornsay Lighthouse

 


This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , .

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*